Best When Managed

Land and water resources are always best when managed.

Land is a farmer’s most valuable asset – without it they have nothing and without the ability to manage the land, all other inputs, time and technology are potentially wasted. Responsible AG water management (drainage) is a large part of land development and improvement. In addition to soil health, drainage is a very effective tool for managing crop health, crop inputs, improving field efficiencies and farm productivity while minimizing impacts on the environment and supporting local communities.


As of May 2017, ALL water management projects (drainage) in SK require an approval (regardless of when of when they were built). The policy around the Ag Water Management Strategy is still being developed. SaskFSA’s priority is to work with the regulators (WSA) and government to develop practical and effective policy that supports progressive agriculture. While approved drainage projects are the ultimate measure of success, there is still work to do on the policy and process. SaskFSA is working with landowners, industry stakeholders, regulators and all levels of government building policy solutions for agriculture zones in SK. 


  • 1ST and most importantly, become a member of SaskFSA to receive regular updates on the development of the drainage policy. Click here to become a member!
  • Be responsible. Water resources are always best when managed. Understand your project – map the contributing water flow area, flow controls and determine point of adequate outlet (PAO).
    • Evaluate existing / required flow and erosion controls
    • Identify sensitive or problem areas
  • Coordinate with all landowners that are involved / affected by the water flow of your existing and new drainage.
  • PAO – identify more than one potential POA. Land control is required to all POA. Choose the path of least resistance. WSA makes the final decision on PAO.
  • Communicate effectively, work together and be respectful. It is recommended to determine a project lead or coordinator such as a landowner or a Qualified Person (QP).
  • Specify type(s) of water management works – surface and/or tile drainage, flow controls, etc. Incorporate all existing and planned drainage into the drainage plan.
  • Include a maintenance plan for your water management project.
  • Agriculture consultants understand your business and some understand how important water management is. Utilize these resources! We can help.

Drainage Resources


The Water Security Agency (WSA) website provides an overview of the Drainage Application Process.

Qualified Persons (QPs) are available to assist you with the technical aspects of the drainage design and completing the application form. QPs are also very helpful with the overall communication process. Please keep in mind that communication is essential for successful projects and it starts with you as the applicant.

To begin an application you must contact your local WSA office.



The Saskatchewan Conservation and Development Association (SCDA) is responsible for Conservation and Development Area (C&D) formation, governance support, drainage project development, qualified person support, project engineering, legal and mediation support.

Establishing a C&D can provide a means for landowners to work together in developing agricultural water management projects.  C&D’s provide local governance over local water management issues. Landowners have a significant amount of knowledge regarding the landscape, water movement and its impact. C&D’s utilize this knowledge to develop functional and sustainable projects that provide flood control and protect the productivity of the land.

How to Apply

NOTE: The AG Water Management Strategy is still in development phase. Be confident in your knowledge of the land, work with your neighbours and communicate with your local rural municipality if applicable.

SaskFSA is your #1 resource when it comes to drainage in SK. We bring the knowledge of a wide range of experts on land and water management together. Reach out to a SaskFSA Board Director in your area if you require assistance.

To begin an application, contact your local WSA office.